Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Hellboy gives back to the church.

On December 2nd Maverix Studios will hosting yet another fund raiser for a good cause. This time it's for Glide Memorial Church. The proceeds from the charity art auction will go directly to their Children's Creative Arts Media Center. Here's a link to Maverix's blog for updates- http://maverixstudios.blogspot.com/

I'll be donating this piece entitled- "Hellboy n' Shit".


When I found out about the auction I didn't have a clue as to what my piece would look like. So I just whipped out a piece of matte board and started slappin' down some acrylic paint, India ink, acrylic gloss medium and torn newspaper pieces . I then took a photo of of the acrylic/ink chaos, cut the photo in to pieces and glued it back on to the matte board. Next I took a blurry photo of Venetian mask my wife and I have in our art studio and glued that to the matte board. At this point I still had no idea where the fuck I was going with this. I then drew a face on the blurry mask photo, threw in some stars, started slappin' some paint around, added a cig, and what not, then scanned it. After futzing around in Photoshop for a while, this guy kept saying to me "dude, I'm Hellboy, hey, it's me, Hellboy", so I finally agreed with this red feller, "yeah, he is Hellboy." So I Hellboyed him up a bit, printed it out on a big ass piece of paper, and that's where I'm at now. Next up, I'm going to mount it to a piece of Masonite and finish it off with some acrylic paint and various media. I'll post that when it's done.

28 comments:

bastien said...

Hello my name's baxter, I'm french sorry, if my english isn't good^^.
Your art works, it's verry beautifuf, and I like verry well do you draw.
good continuation.
bye

Ramsés Meléndez said...

Great stuff!

Doug Williams said...

There's three things I love about this post besides the art. One; the use of the word 'futzing'. I thought only my wife and I used that word, other than 90 year olds. Two; The fact that it's Hellboy giving to a church (which really isn't odd if anyone has read the comic). Three; you giving us your process on this one. I'm thankful that you don't always have everything laid out in your mind before you start. Awesome stuff man, it's looking really cool so far.

Annie Fix said...

i love seeing your process on this one---classic fix style. i think each stage would even make a nice piece on it's own ;)

as always, you rock

James Chiang said...

awesome piece....and thanks for sharing the process - i love letting things come to you.

. said...

Impressive blog :)

Joe Karg said...

Sweet piece man. Way to give back.

Bryan Wynia said...

Really impressive work. Your sketchbook pages are amazing! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pointpusher said...

Woooooooow! You are so skilled! I will be checking back here for SURE! please keep up the great work and thanks for the inspiration.

EL Gato Negro said...

i dig all of this stuff, especially your sketchbook. keep em comin!!

cheers!!!

The Pencil Box said...

i only got 2 words for you. i really like this and your thought process, you did it again, your a drawing monster, keep up the great work , man this is more than 2 words.

JeremySaliba said...

AWESOME blog. incredibly inspirational.

. said...

check it! www.inventura-art.com
the cool stuff :)

Ron Bowman said...

Excellent piece! I love the photos of the process. Very inspirational and instructive.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

just some fan.
wanted to stop by to compliment and i had a question about materials. your art is awesome. i was wondering what kind of sketchbook you use because I would think the paper would have to be pretty heavy to take in all that paint without buckling? really curious because I can't find any skechbooks unless its a watercolor paper. thanks man. Hope to see more from your sketchbook.

Packo’s art and tattoo Studio said...

good stuff man

Unknown said...

Exellent art and painter, very good!!!!
congrtulations!!!!

Rodrigo Lara!!!!

flaptraps said...

very cool stuff, those sketch book pages are inspiring.

Anonymous said...

i misss shit like this, im holding magoo hostage. much love.

b

V said...

really impressive and inspiring work on the blog:)waitin to see more!

Javi García said...

Hi!,

This is the fisrt time I visit your blog, I love your work. Best Regards

Pablo Hernández Delgado said...

Un trabajo increible y unos diseños geniales, Me gusta sobre todo tu skechtbook experimental.

Wayne Porter said...

wicked stuff you got here! I'll be back for sure!

Marcos Amoroso said...

nice work! :)

Unknown said...

love the style!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent blog. I stumbledupon it ;) I will come back yet again since I
book marked it. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you
be rich and continue to guide others.

Feel free to surf to my blog - he has a good point